Frequently Asked Resident Questions

Are you wondering about licensing a new pet, having a recreational fire, or hosting a block party? Our resources listed below aim to answer many of the common questions people may have about the City of Sartell.

If you have a question not addressed here, please contact us.

Area school districts include the following. Please visit the websites listed to find their individual contact information.

Sartell-St. Stephen ISD 748
Visit Website ›

Sauk Rapids-Rice ISD 47
Visit Website ›

St. Cloud ISD 742
Visit Website ›

Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) files are a platform-independent file format that requires Adobe’s free Acrobat reader software to access. The reason that these file formats are used is that it allows us to deliver permit and application forms in the exact same printable format that you would receive if you came into city hall and got them. These .pdf files are very effective for the posting of maps as well because the Acrobat Reader software allows for the zooming in on maps to get greater detail without losing graphic quality.

The most frequently requested Sartell City Codes are available on our website on the City Code page. If the ordinance that you are looking for is not available on this page, please call City Hall at 320-253-2171 for the correct information.

To file Homestead, please contact the County that you live in. The eastern part of the city (across the bridge) is in Benton County. The Western part of the city of is in Stearns County. For more information please visit or

City ordinance requires that all dogs six (6) months and older owned or harbored within the city limits of Sartell have their Rabies Vaccination.

Additional information:

  • City ordinance also requires that all dogs and cats be kept within their owner’s property or on a leash when being walked.
  • City ordinance limits each house to 2 dogs. We suggest that your dog wear visible identification to make it easier to find the owner when lost.

Ordinance No. 99-02

It is unlawful for any owner to suffer or to permit an animal to defecate upon public property, or the private property of another, without immediately removing the excrement and disposing of it in a sanitary manner. It shall furthermore be the duty of each person having custody and control of any dog to have in their immediate possession, a device or equipment, such as a scoop and/or a plastic bag, for picking up and removal of the animal’s feces. Violation of this section is a petty misdemeanor.

The city licenses refuse haulers. It is the resident’s responsibility to choose which refuse hauler they would like to use. The list of refuse haulers and their information listed and linked below:

All of the refuse haulers include recycling as part of their service and each hauler provides their own bins to residents.

City of Sartell Neighborhood Organized Garbage/Recycling Collection Program Information Packet

Building permits are required for most types of construction or remodeling projects in Sartell. Please visit our E-Forms center to see a list of all available permits.

Contact city hall at 320-253-2171 for permit applications or answers to any questions regarding set back regulations, etc.

Yes, you will need a permit to build a fence. Additionally, you will need a permit to build a deck, swimming pool, shed, garage, addition, or home remodels.

Visit our building inspections page to learn more and view all the requirements.

The nearest location for the renewal of licenses is in the St. Cloud Courthouse located in downtown St. Cloud. The address for the courthouse is listed below. Click the link for additional information:

Administration Center Room 125-130
705 Courthouse Square
St. Cloud, MN 56303

Hours at the courthouse are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. More information on licenses at the courthouse can be found at Stearns County.

In the case of being locked out of your car or home, please call the non-emergency Sartell Police Department number at 320-251-8186.

Car: The police department has a tool they can use to attempt to unlock your car.

Home: The police department recommends calling a locksmith if you are locked out of your home. Damage can occur if they try to enter your home through locked doors and windows.

The City of Sartell has an ordinance, which prohibits the parking of any vehicle on any street or alleyway within the city, during the months of November through March between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.

Vehicles in violation may be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense. No vehicle shall be parked or left standing for more than 72 hours on any public street, avenue or thoroughfare within the corporate limits of the city.

A compost site is provided for city residents as well as residents of the City of St. Cloud, and LeSauk Township. Visit the Sartell compost site page to learn more about eligible areas, hours, purchasing information and more.

Accepted items include:

  • Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Brush three inches or less in diameter

Compost may be taken if you bring your own containers.  To find costs and more information, please visit the compost page linked above.

The City of Sartell does not allow burning of leaves or any other debris.

The City of Sartell has 28 active parks! Open park shelters are available for rent at Watab Park, Val Smith Park, Lions Park and Northside Park. Visit our parks page for additional information on our parks. Park hours are from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.  Please call Sartell City Hall to find out availability and costs of park shelter rentals.

Celebration Park wading pool will open on Wednesday, June 10, 2020.   Click here for more information on our city parks.

Pool Hours & Dates

Hours for the pool are from 12:00 pm to 7:00 p.m. daily, weather permitting. Also, weather permitting, the pool opens around the 1st weekend in June and closes Labor Day Weekend.  For 2020 there will be no lifeguards on duty and the pool capacity will be limited by signage.  This will be a self regulated.


Weather permitting, and during regular park hours, there is free skating at Val Smith Park (corner of 1st St NE and 4th Ave E)  and the outdoor rink at the Bernicks Arena (Along Pinecone Road North and 1st St S). Skating is also available at the Pinecone Regional Park outdoor hockey rink on school days from 7-9 pm and non-school days from 1-9 pm.

Warming House

The Warming Houses in both parks are open (weather permitting) on school days from 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. and on non-school days from 1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.


The rinks will be open for the season as Mother Nature allows. We will post opening and closing dates on our community sign along Pinecone Road South and on this website.

The Bernick’s Ice Arena offers indoor open skating for the public. The ice arena can be found on 1st St S off of Pine Cone Road. For more information or for open skating times at the ice arena, you may call 320-240-9233.

If you install a mailbox, please contact the city at 253-2171 for a copy of the city “mailbox specifications”, or go to the Public Works section of this website. This gives instructions on the construction of mailboxes, which the council has approved.

Additional Information:

  • Residents are responsible for the clearing of any snow that needs to be moved to allow mail delivery after plows have gone by.
  • The city will not repair a mailbox damaged during the plowing of snow, unless city equipment physically hits the box and then, only if the box meets all construction specifications.
  • Questions on where to install your mailbox can be directed to the Sartell Post Office at 252-5125.

Yes, you can! Many of our residents plant trees or install decorative items on city boulevards. The city will not be responsible for damage caused by city equipment to any item placed on a city boulevard. There is approximately 15 feet of city boulevard on each side of an improved road surface.

It is important to know and display your proper house number on your home. If you ever need to call for some type of emergency service, you will need the house number to give to the service you are calling. The house number needs to be visible to the emergency response team so that they can respond in a timely fashion. If you do not know your house number, please call Sartell City Hall for assistance.

The City of Sartell has an ordinance implementing a curfew for minors. In short, the ordinance states as follows:

Any minor under the age of eighteen years of age shall not loiter, idle or be in or upon public streets, roads, highways, alleys, parks, playgrounds or other public grounds between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.

Please call the city hall if you wish to see the complete ordinance.

There is an ordinance regarding the operation of snowmobiles within the city limits.

If you or a member of your family has or plans on operating a snowmobile within city limits, please contact the Sartell Police Department or visit the city codes page to download a copy of the ordinance.

Sump pumps must be hooked up according to the following diagram. Sump pumps are not allowed to drain into the sanitary sewer system. They must drain outside.

A block party is a great way to connect with your neighbors and the community! To get started, first download our Block Party Petition and Guidelines document for resources and second, you will need to contact the Police Department at 251-8186 to make sure that adequate safety measures can be met during the party.

You may view the New Resident section of the website or you may stop in at City Hall and pick up a new resident folder of information.

The population estimate as of 2019 is 18,754.

Recreational fires are allowed in the City of Sartell. Residents should be aware of the following for recreational fires:

  • Fire pits must be at least 25 feet from any structure or combustible material.
  • All combustibles such as leaves need to be cleared away from the area before starting a fire.
  • No burning is allowed on streets, sidewalks, or other public right of ways.
  • Fire pits should also be constructed of non-combustible material.
  • A non-combustible fire ring or pit that is at least 8 inches deep is required for a recreational fire.
  • The fires can only be three feet in diameter and three feet high.
  • Some sort of fire extinguishing method needs to be present during the time of the fire. A garden hose, buckets filled with water, or a fire extinguisher are great options.
  • It is against the law to leave a fire unattended.
  • You cannot burn treated lumber, yard waste, leaves, brush, debris, or refuse material.

No burning will be allowed during burning bans issued by the DNR or the Sartell Fire Department.

The Tri-County Solid Waste Management Commission accepts free of charge, paint, stain, solvents, pesticides, insecticides, household chemicals, unused aerosol cans and other miscellaneous household waste.

They are located at 3601 5th Street S Waite Park, MN 56387. You can reach them at 320-255-6140. Hours of business are Tuesdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Thursdays, and Fridays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the 3rd Saturday of the month from 8 a.m. to noon.

Stearns County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is also open to the public and will accept your Fluorescent Bulbs.

To get rid of Unused and Unwanted Medications, a Pharmaceutical drop box is located at the Stearns County Law Enforcement Center at 807 Courthouse Square, St. Cloud, MN. There is also a drop box located inside of the Public Safety Building at 501 Pinecone Rd. S. Sartell during regular business hours (8 am-4 pm).

Guidelines for tree size selection are below including a picture of mature tree height and width.

When planting near residential power lines:

  • Plant only small trees or shrubs ( with a mature height of 25 feet or less) near power lines.
  • Plant medium trees (up to 40 feet in mature height) more than 25 feet from power lines.
  • Plant tall trees (taller than 40 feet in mature height) more than 50 feet from power lines.

Always call before you dig!

Gopher State One Call will mark all utility lines free of charge with a 48-hour notice. Please call 1-800-252-1166.

Ask before you buy!

When shopping for trees, asking where the stock came from could prevent you from selecting a tree that has the possibility of being diseased and bringing that disease into our area from out of state, diseases that have not been seen in our area previously.

The City of Sartell does not host an “Annual City Wide Garage Sale”, however, there are residential neighborhoods who host neighborhood sales during the garage sale season.  City Hall does not receive notice of when these sales take place, so it is best just to pay attention to local newspapers for dates, times and locations.

If you are hosting a garage sale, please remember that garage sale signs cannot be placed in city right of ways and must be taken down immediately after the event.

The City of Sartell does not carry any tax forms.

Property Tax statements can be found online through the county that the property resides. Please visit the Stears County website and Benton County website to learn more.

Check your water heater! Click the “bypass” button and see if that does the trick.

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency recommends using less than 1 pound of salt per 12 ft x 12 ft area.

1 coffee mug = 1 pound of salt

Also, avoid oversalting by shoveling early and often. Always scatter salt 2-3 inches apart. Choose deicers based on the pavement temperature. Sweep up and reuse excess salt.