Our compost site is a great resource for residents to dispose of leaves, grass clippings, brush, tree branches and additional clean yard waste. Review the information below to learn more.
Residents of the following are eligible for the Sartell compost site:
- City of Sartell
- City of St. Cloud
- LeSauk Township
Residents of the following are ineligible for the Sartell compost site:
- Cities of St. Joseph, Waite Park, Sauk Rapids, Rice, St. Stephen
- Townships of St. Joseph, Watab, Brockway, St. Wendel
- Any other City or Township not listed under Eligible.
COMPOST SITE LOCATION
SPRING/SUMMER HOURS (April 17, 2021 - September 24, 2021)
Tuesday: 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
FALL HOURS BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 25, 2021 THROUGH NOVEMBER 20, 2021.
Tuesday: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Thursday: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Closing day is November 20, 2021 at 4 pm depending on weather
*The city reserves the right to close due to inclement weather.
- From Sartell City Hall, take Pinecone Road South to the 4 way stop at the Heritage Drive and Pinecone Road Intersection.
- Take a right onto County Road 133 for about 2 miles to County Road 4.
- Take a right onto County Road 4, and the next right on 30th Avenue North. You will see the Sartell Compost Site on your right!
Purchase a Permit
Read this information before purchasing a permit online.
Online compost permits are $30.00 for City of Sartell residents and $70.00 for St. Cloud and LeSauk Township residents.
Individuals must fill out all required fields during the purchasing process. Information includes vehicle make, color, and license plate number. We will be verifying addresses. If a permit is purchased on a weekend, a printed receipt will prove as proof of purchase to a Compost Site Attendant.
New vehicle permits are available to purchase online only- Purchase here
Permits will not be available at the compost site and entrance will not be granted without proof of purchase (receipt either printed or on phone).
If you need a replacement permit, it can be purchased online for a charge of $10.00. The city reserves the right to check license plate numbers to ensure that the vehicles are registered to you.
Compost permits are only available for purchase online. There will be no stickers issued. Instead, show attendant your receipt (printed off or on your phone) and you will still be able to use site.
Rules and Regulations
- You must be a Sartell resident. LeSauk Township and City of St. Cloud residents are also able to purchase non-resident compost permits for $70.00. (Compost sticker required)
- Commercial haulers and lawn service companies are not eligible to use this site.
- You must register with the supervisor on site before entering the compost site.
- You must have a compost permit sticker attached to the inside bottom of the driver side windshield. Entrance to the compost site will not be allowed without a valid permit.
- Only clean yard waste, brush and tree waste will be accepted. Acceptable yard waste includes leaves, grass clippings, pine cones, pumpkins, acorns, apples, and garden vegetation. Acceptable brush and tree waste include shrubs, tree branches, and firewood.
- The City reserves the right to limit the quantity of brush disposed.
- Unacceptable yard waste includes construction wood, dimensional wood, pallets, stumps or whole tree logs. Yard waste mixed with rocks, metal, concrete, Styrofoam, animal feces, food scraps, or other foreign material is also unacceptable.
- You must empty all bags used to transport compost material and put empty bag(s) into the dumpster or recycle the bags. No plastic bags are to be left on site as they contaminate the compost.
- Branches and yard waste must be separated.
- All loads entering site must be covered to prevent loss of any waste while driving to the compost site.
- After unloading, all trailers, pickup boxes, etc., must be swept clean.
- The equivalent of one pickup load per week of finished compost by permit holders may be taken.
- Residents caught purchasing permits for households and vehicles other than their own will forfeit their permit(s) for the year and all monies paid.