Voter & Election Information
Sartell Voter Information
To be eligible to vote in Sartell, Minnesota you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be at least 18 years old on election day
- Have resided in MN for 20 days immediately preceding the election day
- Have completed any felony conviction or had it discharged
- Not be under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
- Not have been found legally incompetent
To avoid delays on election day, please prepare by doing the following:
- Pre-register: You can minimize your time waiting in line by getting preregistered. To do so you must submit a completed registration application to your county auditor’s office. Applications are available online, at city hall or from your County Auditors’ offices. The application must be received by your county auditor by 5 p.m., 21 days before election day.
- Know where your polling place is located: You will only be allowed to vote at the polling location for the precinct in which you reside. Find your polling place here!
- Plan to vote in the late morning or early afternoon: Most polling places see a significant increase in voters during the early morning hours (7 a.m to 9 a.m.) and again in the evening (6 p.m. to 8 p.m.). To avoid the possibility of long lines, try to go to your polling place during the middle portion of the day. Minnesota Statutes 204C.04 Subdivision 1 states: “Every employee who is eligible to vote in an election has the right to be absent from work for the purpose of voting during the morning of the day of that election, without penalty or deduction from salary of wages because of the absence.”
- Bring proper documentation: If you fail to pre-register, you will need to register at your polling place. Make certain that you have the appropriate identification and documentation with you when you arrive at the polls. Check here for a complete list of the authorized proofs of residence. ONLY the documents listed will be accepted by the election judges on election day.
View the Sartell Minnesota precinct map.
All residents who live east of Pinecone Road South and south of 2nd Street South.
The polling place is located at: Sartell Community Center (Liberty 1 Meeting Room), 850 19th Street South.
All residents who live on the east side of the Mississippi River (Benton County portion of Sartell). The polling place is located at: Solid Rock Family Church, 301 1st Avenue NE
All residents who live east of Pinecone Road North, north of 2nd Street South, and south of 5th Street North.
The polling place is located at: Sartell Community Center (Liberty 2 Meeting Room), 850 19th Street South.
All residents who live west of Pinecone Road, south of 2 ½ Street North, and the portion south of 3rd Street North that is west of 19th Avenue North.
The polling place is located at: First United Methodist Church, 1107 Pinecone Road South.
All residents who live east of Pinecone Road North, north of 5th Street North and south of 12th Street North.
The polling place is located at: Messiah Lutheran Church, 320 4th Avenue North.
All residents who live east of Pinecone Road North, north of 12th Street North, and the portion west of Pinecone Road North that is north of 27th Street North.
The polling place is located at: Celebration Lutheran Church, 1500 Pinecone Road North.
All residents who live west of Pinecone Road North, north of 2 ½ Street North, and the portion north of 3rd Street North that lies west of 19th Avenue North.
The polling place is located at: Sartell City Hall, 125 Pinecone Road North.
In Minnesota, you do not have to wait until election day to vote – you can vote early with an absentee ballot.
Absentee voting will be available at your county auditor’s office. You may vote in person by visiting the auditor’s office during regular business hours, or if you prefer, you may have the ballot materials sent to you. Click here for more information on absentee voting. Each county will offer extended hours to conduct additional absentee voting at their offices on the Saturday immediately preceding the election from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., and again on the Monday before the election until 5 p.m. Please do not contact the city for these materials.
You will need to get them from the appropriate county for the precinct in which you reside. County contact information:
Stearns County Auditor’s Office, 320-656-3920
Benton County Auditor’s Office, 320-968-5027
Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Information:
The following links can help uninformed and overseas citizens on how to absentee vote:
The City of Sartell is working with Stearns County to provide early voting to residents of the City of Sartell who live in Stearns County. Early voting will be open at Sartell City Hall during the following hours:
Tuesday, October 27th through Friday, October 30th from 8:00 am to 4:30pm
Saturday, October 31st from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, November 2nd, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
|Non-Official** Not Official until canvased by the City Council on November 13th|
|** Official results will be canvased on November 13, 2020|
Sartell Election Information
To hold an elected position in the city of Sartell, you must:
- Be an eligible voter in Minnesota;
- Have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election;
- Be 21 years old or will be on assuming office; and
- Reside in the city for 30 days prior to the general election.
In cases where more than 4 individuals file for City Council, a primary election will be held. If required, a municipal primary will be held in conjunction with the State primary on Tuesday, August 11th. The four candidates receiving the most votes for the office of City Council will have their names placed on the ballot for the general election.
Filings for all positions will open on Tuesday, May 19th and close at 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, June 2nd. All required forms are available online (Click on the name of form) or at Sartell City Hall. These forms must be received at Sartell City Hall, 125 Pinecone Road North during this time. Any candidate wishing to remove their name from the ballot must file an Affidavit of Withdrawal by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5th.
Filing For Office
To file for office, you will need the following forms (please note a full packet will be available at City Hall, please feel free to visit the Secretary of State’s Office for further information.)that as of the posting of this information the Secretary of State’s office has not yet updated all of its forms for 2020, links will be made once the Secretary of State’s office has made them available):
- Affidavit of Candidacy: Form must be completed by the individual running for office and is to be submitted along with a $5 filing fee unless a Petition in Place of Filing Fee is submitted. The Affidavit of Candidacy must be signed in front of a notary public or other officer empowered to take and certify acknowledgment.
- Address of Residence Form: Form is used ONLY IF private data box checked on the affidavit of candidacy.
- Minnesota Petition in Place of Filing Fee:At the time of filing an affidavit of candidacy, a candidate may present a petition in place of the filing fee. The petition may be signed by any individual eligible to vote for the candidate. The number of signatures on a petition in place of filing fee shall be the lesser of 500 signatures or five percent of the total number of votes cast in the municipality at the preceding general election at which that office was on the ballot.
- Affidavit of Withdrawal of Candidacy: If you wish to withdraw, you must do so until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 5th, 2020. This form must be completed and submitted by that time.
- Campaign Financial Reports: Form must be submitted at various times throughout the campaign. The initial report of the candidate must be filed within 14 days of the candidate receiving contributions OR making disbursements of more than $750.
Additional reports are required as follows:
- Ten days before the primary election
- Ten days before the general election
- A final report may be filed any time after the candidate has settled all debts and disposed of all assets in excess of $100
- Candidates may not accept aggregate contributions in excess of $600 made or delivered by an individual or committee in an election year.
- Campaign Financial Report – Certification of Filing: Each candidate or committee is required to submit this form within 7 days after the general election.
- Minnesota Campaign Manual: This pamphlet outlines fair reporting and campaign practices. Please note the sections relating to contributions, advertising and election day activities.
See this noticefrom the MN Department of Transportation regarding the placement of campaign signs. Please note, the city prohibits posting of any campaign signs in the right-of-way of any city streets, or on public utility poles (i.e. light poles, signal light poles, street signs, etc.) or on trees, shrubs, rocks or any other natural features. In addition, no signs may be posted on public property such as parks, medians, or other open spaces.
For full Election Judge details, visit our Election Judges page.
Election judges play an important role in administering elections. The City of Sartell welcomes inquiries from individuals who are interested in serving as election judges.
Any person who is eligible to vote is qualified to be appointed as an election judge, with the following exceptions:
- Individuals who are unable to read, write or speak English;
- The spouse, parent, child or sibling of any election judge serving in the same precinct or of any candidate in that election; or
- A candidate in that election.
The City of Sartell will assist in training for all election judges prior to the primary and general elections.
How to Apply
If you are interested in serving as an election judge, please complete the Election Judge Application Form and return it to Scott Saehr, Assistant City Administrator/Community & Economic Development Director, using the contact information below.
Scott Saehr, Assistant City Administrator/Community & Economic Development Director
Sartell City Hall, 125 Pinecone Rd N, Sartell, Mn 56377
P 320-258-7316 Email: email@example.com