Building Licensing

General Contractors for Commercial Building Projects must be licensed in the City of Sartell. However, General Contractors for residential building projects do not need to be licensed. As the person in charge of your construction project, you may want to visit the DOLI website to see if your contractor is in good standings with the state of Minnesota.

All Plumbers and HVAC Contractors also need to be licensed with the City of Sartell prior to doing any work within the city limits.

If you would like to know the status of a Plumbing, HVAC, or commercial contractor that you may be hiring, please contact Sartell City Hall and we can let you know if they are currently licensed with the City.


All questions can be directed to the building department at 320-258-7317

Solicitor Licensing

The Sartell Police Department requires that all Solicitors and Peddlers license themselves and register themselves with the City. This can be done at the Sartell Police Department.

Be advised: No peddler, solicitor, or transient merchant, unless invited to do so by the property owner or tenant, shall enter the property of another for the purpose of conducting business as a peddler, solicitor, or transient merchant when the property is marked with a sign or placard at least three and three-quarter (3-3/4) inches long and three and three-quarter (3-3/4) inches wide with print of at least 48 points in size stating “No Peddlers, solicitors, or transient merchant,” or “ Peddlers, Solicitors, and Transient Merchants Prohibited,” or other comparable statement. No person other than the property owner or tenant shall remove, deface, or otherwise tamper with any sign or placard under this section.

This means that if you don’t want a solicitor to stop by your home, just place a placard at least 3 ¾” by 3 ¾” stating “No Peddlers, Solicitors, or Transient Merchants” by your front doorbell or on your front door, and according to City Code, they are not allowed to bother you.


If you are a resident of the City of Sartell and are having an issue with a solicitor, contact the Sartell Police Department directly.

Building Permits

To see if building permits are needed for your particular project, please see the building department page.

Sign Permits

Please visit our E-Forms page to obtain a sign permit application.


For questions please call (320) 258-7316.